Eligibility and participation

Learn about the eligibility rules governing the long-term care plan
hand document

Who is eligible

You are eligible for long-term care coverage if you are classified as a full-time, part-time or temporary employee of a participating employer and are currently enrolled in the plan. Effective January 1, 2012, John Hancock has closed its long-term care plan to new enrollments. If you are currently enrolled in long-term care, your coverage can continue.

Full-time employee: An employee assigned to a position that:

  • Requires full-time service as determined by bp;
  • Is established to fill regular and ordinary employment requirements; and
  • Is expected to continue for an indefinite period of time.

Part-time employee: An employee assigned to a position that is:

  • Regular and ordinary in nature;
  • Expected to continue for an indefinite period of time; and
  • One in which the employee works a schedule that is less than that of a full-time employee but is at least 20 hours a week.

Temporary employee: An employee assigned to a position that:

  • Requires full-time or part-time (not occasional) service as determined by bp;
  • Requires a regular schedule of hours; and
  • Will continue for a specified period of time or until the occurrence of a specified event, such as the return to work of a regular employee or the completion of a special assignment or project.

Interns and co-ops are considered occasional employees.

Eligible family members

Your eligible family members also may apply for the coverage — even if you do not elect to insure yourself for coverage. Eligible family members must be age 18 or over on the date coverage is effective and include your:

  • Spouse.
  • Opposite-sex or same-sex domestic partner.
  • Parents or parents-in-law.

Some special rules apply if your spouse/domestic partner is also an eligible bp employee or retiree:

  • Each of you may elect coverage for yourself.
  • One of you may elect coverage for himself/herself, and the other can waive coverage.

You cannot be insured under the plan more than once at any given time.

Domestic partners

There are two alternative methods for qualifying your same-sex or opposite-sex domestic partner as an “eligible dependent”:

  • Alternative “A”: Register your domestic partnership or civil union in accordance with registration requirements in the state in which you and your domestic partner or civil union partner reside. Your registration date is the first date you can enroll your partner as a domestic partner under the plan; or
  • Alternative “B”: Satisfy each of the following requirements for at least six full months before signing a Domestic Partner Affidavit. The date you are first eligible to sign the affidavit is the date your partner will be considered your domestic partner for plan purposes.
    • Be each other’s sole domestic partner and intend to remain so indefinitely;
    • Reside together in the same principal residence and intend to remain so indefinitely;
    • Be emotionally committed to one another, share joint responsibilities for the partnership’s common welfare and be financially interdependent;
    • Be at least 18 years old, of legal age and mentally competent to enter into contracts;
    • Not be related by blood closer than would bar marriage under applicable law where you live; and
    • Not be legally married to, nor the domestic partner of, anyone else.

Note: Under this plan, and pursuant to federal law, a civil union and a same-sex marriage must be treated the same as a domestic partnership.

Your domestic partner will cease being an eligible dependent as of the date you cease to satisfy any of the above conditions. If your domestic partnership ends, call the bp Benefits Center immediately.


Publication date: April 2017


© 2000-2021 BP Corporation North America Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer | Privacy statement | PrintPrint this page