You or your eligible dependent loses eligibility for health coverage under a non-BP sponsored plan

Note: To help you understand how life events may impact your benefits, examples have been included in this section. However, eligibility for plan benefits (be it retirement, medical or the other benefits listed here) is based on the terms of the particular plans, and a benefit being listed under the Life events tab does not mean that you are eligible for that particular benefit. For plan eligibility questions, please refer to the Benefits Handbook.

If you or your eligible dependent loses eligibility for health coverage under a health care plan that is not sponsored by BP, you may be eligible to make changes your BP benefits, as described below. 

Benefit Available Changes Deadline Other Things to Consider
  • Medical
  • Dental
  • Vision
You may:
  • Enroll for coverage.
  • Add your eligible dependent to your BP coverage.
  • Change from You only coverage to You + spouse/domestic partner, You + child(ren) or You + family coverage.
  • Change from You + spouse/child(ren) to You + family.
  • Change medical and/or dental options.
Note: Special rules on switching between the HCFSA and the HSA mid-year may limit your available medical options if you change medical plans. See the Benefits Handbook for more details.
Within 30 days of the life event Changes to your BP benefits will only be allowed if the loss of coverage was due to no action of your own. Changes are not allowed if you no longer participate in a non-BP sponsored plan because you no longer chose to participate, you refuse to pay increased contributions or for non-payment of contributions.
Health Care Flexible Spending Account You may:
  • Enroll if you change your BP medical, dental or vision coverage.
  • Increase your election for the remainder of the plan year.
Within 30 days of the life event If you increase your election, only expenses incurred on or after the date of the coverage change are eligible for reimbursement from the newly elected amount. 
Dependent Care Spending Account N/A N/A N/A
Short-term Disability (STD) N/A N/A N/A
Long-term Disability (LTD) N/A N/A N/A
  • Basic Life
  • Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
  • Occupational Accidental Death (OAD)
Group Universal Life (GUL) N/A N/A N/A
Long-term Care (LTC) N/A N/A N/A
  • BP savings plan
  • BP retirement plan
Next Steps
  • Your benefit options and allowable changes to determine what changes, if any, you'll make to your BP benefits.
  • You must make allowable changes to your medical, dental, vision and spending account participation within 30 days of the life event, otherwise you'll have to wait until the next annual enrollment.
  • You may make changes to income protection and survivor benefits, such as long-term disability, Group Universal Life and long-term care insurance at any time. However, you may be required to provide additional documentation before coverage is effective. See each plan summary for specific information on when you may be required to provide evidence of insurability (EOI).
  • The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help you and your family with any issues that may arise. For information, contact BP Care at 1-800-409-3687. You and your dependents who live with you are eligible for EAP services.
  • You'll need your dependents' personal information including date of birth and Social Security number when enrolling.
  • You may make changes to your BP savings plan at any time. Generally, you may add or change a beneficiary for the BP savings plan or BP retirement plan at any time.
Go to or call
  • BP Retirement Services at Fidelity at 1-877-272-3334 to make changes to your savings plan or to add or change a beneficiary for the BP savings plan or BP retirement plan (as applicable).
  • John Hancock at 1-800-482-0022 to make changes to your LTC participation.


© 2000-2021 BP Corporation North America Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Legal disclaimer | Privacy statement | PrintPrint this page